NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS:
Please fill out the application and drop off at the Sumner Public Library or scan & email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMNER PUBLIC LIBRARY
Reports to: Library Director
Position Summary: At will position hired by Library Director. The Library Assistant performs duties essential to the daily operation of the public library. Duties primarily involve circulation and organization of materials and assisting patrons.
Starting Wage: $9.00 per hour
Essential Job Duties:
- Provides customer service to library patrons.
- Performs duties associated with opening and closing the library.
- Checks books and other materials in and out using current operating system: collects fines and fees.
- Checks in and out materials through the interlibrary loan or Open Access program.
- Places returned books back to proper place on shelving pushcart.
- Assists in organization and maintenance of the library collection including repairing, dusting, straightening, and shelf-reading.
- Assists with the preparation of in-library displays for the promotion of materials and programs.
- Trains and works with volunteers.
- Assists patrons with microfilm reader, computers and copier.
- Helps patrons locate books and other materials and answers reference questions.
- Receives and sorts mail and shipments daily.
- Performs miscellaneous clerical duties as needed, including answering the phone, typing, and operating the fax/scanner/copy machine.
- Assists with cataloging of library materials.
- Monitors the reserve list. Calls patrons when requested materials become available.
- Prepares all types of library materials for circulation.
- Adds and updates patron records.
- Collects statistics.
- Attends staff meetings and online continuing education opportunities for professional development.
Incidental Job Duties:
- As assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required: The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skill and abilities.
- Able to interpret and apply library policies and procedures.
- Ability to learn the library circulation and computer catalog programs.
- Ability to learn the Dewey decimal system.
- Ability to proficiently use standard office and library equipment, including but not limited to: circulation/catalog computer software; network computers; computer printers; microfilm reader and printer; photocopier; telephone; calculator; typewriter; fax machine; and computer software.
- Ability to file, post and mail materials.
- Ability to follow written, verbal or diagrammatic instructions.
- Ability to work effectively, independently and unsupervised.
- Ability to consult technical sources and documents and access reference materials.
- Knowledge of and ability to use office software for assisting patrons and for communication.
- Ability to complete and pass continuing education courses, as assigned and as necessary for performance of job duties.
- Ability to guide people throughout library and provide basic information to patrons.
- Ability to establish and maintain a proper working relationship with library staff and the public.
- Ability to safely reach, lift, carry, push, and move books and other materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to safely climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk throughout library, grasp, and make repetitive motions.
- High school graduate or GED and
- Minimum of 6 months experience in a customer service related position; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Work Environment: Most work is performed inside the library. Work includes standing for extended periods, working with computer and other office equipment, moving throughout library, and working directly with patrons. Work may involve frequent interruptions.
Work Schedule: Part-time position with a varied work schedule including day or evening hours, Monday through Saturday, as scheduled by the Library Director. Start and finish time may vary dependent on assignment. May be required to work additional hours or to change hours with minimal notice and to work evenings and/or weekends as required for the operation of the library.
- Marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of essential job duties have been excluded from this job position.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective employees and incumbents are encouraged to discuss possible accommodations with the City.
- Job descriptions in no way state or imply that the description includes every duty to be performed by the employee in the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- The Board reserves the right to change or reassign job duties or combine positions at any time.