Hybrid Summer Library Program 2021:
June 16- July 28, 2021
Register between May 11 and June 2.
Group 1: 3 yrs & younger- 10:00-10:50am
Group 2: K-5th- 11:00-11:50am
Group 3: K-5th- 1:00-1:50pm
Group 4: K-5th- 2:00-2:50pm
K-5th grade can sign up for one time slot (group 2, 3 or 4) to attend, maximum attendance per group is 25.
What makes it hybrid?
We have decided to make the summer library program as accessible as possible. So, if your child/children are unable to attend any or all of the sessions in person, just let us know and we can have an activity bag prepared ahead of time.
What do you do if you have children of different ages?
Sign up for a group time (2, 3, or 4) and let us know how many you will be bringing. However, children 3 yrs and younger must attend group 1 with someone 14 yrs or older.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten!
Sumner Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
1. Register: Sign up at circulation counter and pick up your program materials.
2. Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle for each book you read with your child on your reading record.
3. Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
4. 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record and your child, to the library, to receive a special reward. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books.
5. 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive a free book.
6. Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Sumner Public Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!